Who We Are
The Leonardi Institute is a medical practice limited to the specialty of Vitality and Longevity Medicine. We are located in Denver, Colorado, but we serve patients worldwide with customized, comprehensive programs to enhance vitality and prevent the age-related diseases. The Leonardi Institute was founded in 2003 by David Leonardi, MD, ABAAM, CNS
What is Vitality and Longevity Medicine? It is a specialty of medicine practiced by medical doctors with two goals:
- Restore and maintain youthful vigor through middle age and beyond
- Prevent the age-related diseases
It is not an alternative to mainstream medicine but rather a complement to it. It is best thought of as a unique specialty of medicine focused on quality of life and disease prevention.
In mainstream medicine we seek treatment after we’re sick, when the disease is obvious.
In Vitality and Longevity Medicine, we act before the disease is apparent, to prevent or postpone it.
- Focus on end stage disease
Vitality & Longevity
- Focus on early stage disease
- Less Exciting
How do we do this?
- Measure – We use blood and other diagnostic tests to pinpoint markers of vitality and risk of age-related diseases.
- Optimize – We design and manage a custom program for you to change those markers of disease risk in your favor to slow aging, enhance vitality, and prevent or postpone our most common and devastating age-related diseases.
- Monitor – We continue to monitor your vitality and disease risk markers going forward as we optimize them.
- Adjust – With every visit we make adjustments to your program based on your test results and updates in published studies on disease prevention.
- Coach – At every step of the way, we’re coaching you on the lifestyle adjustments and other techniques. You have unlimited contact with your physician or practitioner.
- Education – We teach you the science that slows aging and prevents disease.
- Optimal Nutrition – Ideal nutrition is a critical aspect of your success.
- Physical Fitness – We’re not slave drivers. We’ll help you with a fitness program that fits your preferences and works around your limitations.
- Focused supplementation with specific purpose – Nutritional supplements demonstrated to improve markers of disease risk and/or demonstrated to reduce disease risk by optimizing our body chemistry. Your supplements will be customized for your body chemistry.
- Prescription – We’ll prescribe medication, if advisable and agreeable to you, for purposes of prevention.
- Hormone Replacement – We’ll help you balance hormone levels safely for greater vitality and disease prevention.
They screen annually. We’re with you year round implementing prevention.
In the simplest analogy, it’s a bit like comparing an X-ray to a seat belt. Renowned clinics will screen you inside and out. If a disease is found, they have the mainstream specialists to treat you heroically. Yet if everything looks good, they will congratulate you and invite you back next year for another screening, giving little advice on true prevention. They may call it prevention, but their practice model is the early diagnosis and treatment of late stage disease. A screening test can detect a disease but not prevent one.
Our practice model is to measure disease risk and implement risk reduction. We provide a turn-key program of prevention year round with all the needed ingredients and the coaching to keep you on track for a long, high quality life. This way, you shouldn’t need so much heroism.
Our Targeted Diseases
Those that alter quality of life and shorten life span the most or for us in Western society:
- Coronary Heart Disease and Stroke
- Overweight and Obesity
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Autoimmune disease
More Helpful Information
With a few lifestyle changes and state-of-the-art proactive health care, you can restore and maintain youthful vigor while simultaneously preventing the age-related diseases.
David Leonardi, MD, ABAAM, CNS
David Leonardi, MD, ABAAM, CNS is a graduate of the University of Miami School of Medicine. He is residency trained in Emergency Medicine and was board certified in this field from 1980 through 2004. Dr. Leonardi left Emergency Medicine in 1986 to focus on disease prevention and has been practicing Vitality and Longevity Medicine exclusively since 1997. He is board certified in Anti-Aging Medicine and a Certified Nutrition Specialist. His study, Hormone Modulation, Low Glycemic Nutrition and Exercise: Effects on Disease Risk and Quality of Life appeared in the Journal of Anti-Aging Medicine in 2002. Dr. Leonardi is the founder of the Leonardi Institute, offering the world’s most evidence-based and effective program to slow aging and prevent age-related diseases.
He is a professional member of the American Diabetes Association, the National Lipid Association and the American College of Nutrition. He is the co-author of the book: Alzheimer’s, Memory Loss, MCI: The Latest Science for Prevention and Treatment and is currently authoring a new book: No One Dies of Old Age: The Cycle-Breakers® Program for Vitality and Longevity. Dr. Leonardi has been a speaker for medical conferences both nationally and internationally. He is an international speaker in the field of Vitality and Longevity Medicine. Speaking engagements at physician seminars include the following:
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine
- The University of California, San Diego Anti-Aging Conference
- The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- The American Society of Aesthetic and Plastic Surgeons
- The Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, Japan
- The American Association of Facial Plastic Surgeons
- 2nd International Workshop on Insulin Resistance
- 2003 Dr. Barry Sears Lecture Series for Health Care Professionals
- The First International Conference for the Prevention of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Vitality and Longevity Medicine Seminar, Seoul, Korea
Dr. Leonardi has also been a featured speaker for Barron’s Top 100 Financial Advisors, Schwab Impact, and Edward Jones Advisor Leaders and Managing Partners conferences. In addition, he’s provided over 180 seminars for Vistage International organization of CEOs since 2007. Dr. Leonardi holds four patents for medical devices. His passion is the research in human chemistry. He views aging as a disease and is eager to learn everything possible to slow its progress.
Jennifer Wood, NP-C
Jennifer is a Family Nurse Practitioner, certified by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. She has an outstanding academic background, which includes a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Shippensburg University, an associate’s degree in nursing from Roxborough School of Nursing, and a master’s degree in nursing from Frontier University. Currently Jennifer is finishing her post-master’s degree as a certified clinical nutritionist. Jennifer began her career in health care when she was a teen, volunteering as a candy striper in her hometown hospital. Since that time she has had over 20 years’ experience in the nursing field in various aspects of patient care.
Prior to embarking on Vitality and Longevity Medicine, Jennifer spent many years in the geriatric field, where she was able to observe first hand the effects of the age-related diseases not only on the individual, but the entire family dynamic. Her work in palliative care and hospice allowed her to witness how environment, genetics and lifestyle can influence not only quality of life, but life expectancy. It was through these experiences that she became passionate about her pursuit of preventive care and the desire to educate others (Indeed, the word, “doctor” comes from the Latin “docere”, meaning “to teach”). Her passion lies in understanding the biochemistry of aging and helping others to make sense of their own path to wellness and vitality.